Monday, August 25, 2008

Carrie Shoults: Sacred Studio


Carrie Shoults lives and works in her home studio in Stone Mountain, Georgia.  She constantly explores new media creating works of painting, ceramic and cement sculpture, fabric, and drawing.  Her artist's statement profoundly relates her artwork to the natural world.  She says her "goal is to reveal the nature of a thing by finding the essence of it, and expressing that through its basic characteristics."  Carrie sees art as a reflection of nature and nature as a reflection of the Creator.  These ideals about art develop beautifully in Carrie's work.  Knowing Carrie personally and artistically, I was fascinated to discover the secrets contained in the space of her creative magic.  Carrie gave me an intimate tour of her studio.
As I entered Carrie’s studio, in the basement of her home, the first thing that struck me was the calm feeling.  It seemed like holy ground and as if I was a visitor in a sacred temple.  I realized that Carrie herself became more peaceful and reserved as she moved through the space.  The studio is a large room and it holds several stations or smaller studios within it.  The first and most obvious is painting and that is fitting, as Carrie seems to be a painter above all else.  The smell of oil and turp fills the air and some of the paintings on the wall are still wet.   The jars of brushes and pallets supporting blobs of colors wait for use.  It is as if these are the instruments of worship in this temple and Carrie is the priest performing the acts.
I move around and see a second table covered in canvas stained the color of the earth and I know immediately that this is where the forming and molding of clay takes place.  How wonderful to be able to switch from the flat surface of a canvas to the all-encompassing organic shapes of clay and to have a mind that handles both gracefully.  Beyond the clay station, is a closet full of fabric supplies.  Besides the beautiful paintings, delicate animal sculptures, and regal vases, Carrie also creates pillows, quilts, and handbags from a stash of scrap fabric that would make any fashion designer jealous.  The closet is not so neat that intimation sets in but just neat enough to see what you have to work with. 
As my time in the studio drew to a close, I realized I could spend hours in this space - if not creating then simply looking at all of the mysterious objects.  The endless art supplies and tools are a modern day cabinet of curiosities for the visitor.  Before I left, I had to get some insight into Carrie's space.  I asked her to tell me the most important aspects of her studio.  She replied, "Light, a lot of natural light to be able to see color. The fact that it is secluded helps me focus on my work and silence is so nice, I can really get into my own head."  So simple I thought.  Finally, hoping to improve my own art making situation, I asked advice for creating a studio space.  Carrie answered generously, "Its really less about the place, it’s the desire to want to work, knowing that I can work on my lap when I am 80, and finding a way to be creative no matter how much space you have.  It's a matter of adapting to your environment.  But, if you could choose a space, privacy and light are important.  Obviously, the more space the merrier depending on your medium.  But it really boils down to just doing the work, just starting.  People think you have to wait for inspiration that’s just not true.  You have to work through the blocks."

  10 Questions:
What is your favorite color? Green, defiantly green.  It is the color of nature, grass, trees and plants.

What is your favorite word and why? Beauty.  Its truth, when you can find the beauty in something then you have found the truth about that thing.

What song can you listen to over and over again? Several operas and Spanish guitar music. Enya for the simple notes which move me.

When you are struggling creatively where do you find inspiration?  In everyday objects and situations, compassion in the human experience.  Finding beauty in the simple things which is a reflection of nature. 

What is one thing you love to look at or watch? Birds outside of my window.

What is your biggest creative block?  Myself and my own mental limitations.  Its imaginary there really is no block other than my own doubt.

Who is your biggest fan? My mom.

If you were stranded on a desert island and could only bring one book what would it be? The Four Agreements by Don Miquel Ruiz

If you could only bring one type of art supply? Pencils and paper

What is one thing you have learned that you would like other artists to know? There is no magic about it, its just in the doing. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great. Not only does this blog display your creativity in the execution and in the writing, it's revealing content helps me (and presumably every reader) understand Carrie and her beauty as an artist. This blog is original and refreshing. The writing provides an intimate connection not only between a reader and an artist, but also between art and her artist. Thank you.

Missed The Boat said...

Love Love Love this blog! I check it all the time. Your artist shines through this blog and I can't wait for more posts... go after it.